January 23, 2011

Le Ch'ti Bello


One American junk food I missed when I first got here was pizza. Yes, pizza does exist in France, and one might think that since France is a lot closer to Italy they would have better pizzas than us, but I did not find this to be the case.

I was also disgusted by the amount of pizza the French consume. They order one pizza each and typically eat the ENTIRE thing in one sitting. I usually managed to only scarf down half of mine.

I missed being able to buy one slice of plain cheese pizza.

For a romantic date out, FBF took me to a nice restaurant in Vieux-Lille called Le Ch’ti Bello, and I now understand why the French always eat an entire pizza by themselves.


Le resto (the restaurant).

For starters, the restaurant is adorable and just what a charming, old town pizzeria should be. I fell in love with the building before we were seated.


The sneaky photo I took of l'interior (the inside).

Once seated, I learned that at Le Ch’ti Bello, one creates one’s own pizza! There is a big long list of different ingredients, ranging from the expected, such as the size of the crust and the types of cheese, to the unexpected, such as raisons, herbs, and fresh cream.

I chose all the 5 cheeses (mozerella, chevre, Roquefort, parmesan, gruyere), all the vegetables except black olives and corn (but including chilies, artichoke hearts, and potatoes!), and thin crust.

My pizza was so delicious! I ate every single bite.


The pizza.

I have been back there now three times, and every time I finish my pizza. It’s just too good! I’ve been switching ingredients every time in search of the perfect pizza, but each one I order is so delicious it’s hard to choose which one I liked best!

Check it out:
Le Ch'ti Bello
98, Rue de Saint-André
59800 Lille
Tel : 03 20 51 25 02

9 comments:

  1. Note to self: Do not sneak a peek at Laura's pizza pictures before tucking your self in for the night or you will surely be dreaming of pizza - complete with 5 cheeses and potatoes and artichokes...which actually isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?!

    Hope your week gets off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Great recommendation -- i'm going to have to try it out now :) You know there's also mexican in Vieux Lille.. I have yet to try it but i've heard good things. And, have you been to the diner in Villeneuve d'Ascq?? That's on our "to do" list as soon as we can get out of the house for an evening sans enfant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling! After my first pizza experience in Paris, I just can't get enough of it now. Your pizza pics are making me want to order in pizza tonight. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesie: I don't think dreaming of delicious pizza is necessarily bad, as long as you have a yummy breakfast planned for afterwards!

    Amber: You should defintiely try it! It's my favorite pizza place by far. I've heard of this supposed Mexican restaurant but to tell you the truth, I'm afraid of it. There's no way it can compete with Mexican food from back home. I've never heard of this diner! I've never been to Villeneuve d'Ascq actually.

    Lindsey: I love pizza. We used to have pizza every Friday night when I was growing up. Although getting pizza delievered in France is un peu cher, non?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tuesday nights are pizza night in my village. There's a man in a pizza van and he makes the pizzas ready to order. And I think they are some of the best pizzas I've ever eaten (and I'm originally from New York). But I've discovered that the secret to a good pie in France, is having the emmental replaced with mozzarella. I don't know about up your way, but down here pizzas normally come with emmental. That's plain wrong.
    (plus the bonus of our pizza van... after four pizzas you get a free bottle of coke or wine!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! Although I love the thin, thin Italian style -- crunchy crust, real simple. OR a Chicago deep dish. (Lou Malnatti's)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara Louise: I agree about the emmental. I am not a fan! Also I'm jealous about your free beverage situation!

    Samantha: Thin crust is definitely where it is at!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice post dear blogger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Commenting on a super old post, I know, but I wandered on over here from another blog and happened to stumble upon this post. I've been living in the North and coming to Lille for over 4 years now (and living in Lille for over a year and a half) and have recently moved to Vieux Lille.

    This restaurant is about 5 minutes from me, and I walk by it basically every day. I always look in when it's open so I can "judge" the pizza, but I always have such bad timing! People are either waiting to be served or have already finished! But after reading your post and seeing your picture, I now must try this place soon!

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...