November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving: year six.

Six years of being away from family and other Americans on this very American holiday has made it seem almost the norm. I am once again hosting a Thanksgiving potluck with my French friends (using my tried and true French thanksgiving recipes), and I am once again using this as an opportunity to reflect on all that I am thankful for in my French life.

This year, I am thankful for:

1. The French boyfriend
My constant proofreader, who helps me navigate French bureaucracy, I am so thankful to get to cuddle up next to him on a daily basis. I’m especially thankful this year that he drove my parents to Switzerland and spent an entire day with them sans moi because I had left my passport in Paris… Thank you so much!

2. Amis
As always, I also can’t imagine my French life without all the wonderful people I’ve met out here, from the amazing people I just graduated with to the new friends I’ve made in Paris. From commiserating about the daunting visa process to helping deal with the stress of office life as well as, now, the job-hunting process, I’m so grateful for you all.

3. Graduation
After two years of hard work in the classroom and in the office, I am officially a Master! I am so grateful for the opportunity to have gotten this degree in France with such lovely, wonderful people, and I am also grateful for the fact that my university just happened to be in Champagne as that led to celebrating this milestone with the delicious beverage that shares the region’s name at very reasonable prices.

4. APS
I am so grateful for the visa that allows foreign bearers of a French master’s degree stay in France for one year in order to look for employment in their field of expertise. It’s given me the opportunity to stay here for one more year, hopefully soon find a job, and continue this great adventure.

5. Paris
Living in Paris has led to a plethora of reasons to be grateful. Not only is the city beautiful and full of wonderful museums that I can visit for free on the first Sunday of the month, but it’s also a big tourist destination, which has meant getting to spend time with friends who didn’t think Troyes was worth visiting.


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. great post, Laura! and congrats on your Master's Degree-- good luck on the job hunt! you can do it! Looking forward to seeing what you do next. :) Bisous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodluck on the job search Laura!/ Loved the post! I can't wait until spending Thanksgiving away from the states is my new norm. It's my second year spending it in France and I still yearn for a " normal" one with my family and bf back in the states. Here's to hoping for next year!

    Binwanderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll get there, although I still miss thanksgiving spent with my family, I do enjoy getting to celebrate it out here :)

      Delete
  3. Great blog. You remind me that we all have a great deal to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura! I know we haven't talked in awhile but I just read through some of your recent blog posts and I'm so pleased to hear how well you're doing in France. You sound happy and I am so amazed at what you've accomplished over there. I wish you so much good luck on your job hunt and hope that your holiday season is really great as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...